Friday, August 26, 2011

End of day one!


Still looking for that tape measure. Until then, here are my stats for the day.

Breakfast:
2 servings of steel cut oats = 320 calories
1Tbsp honey = 60 calories
½ c. blueberries
2 slices cinnamon toast
apple butter

Snack:
3 servings black pepper Triscuits (18 crackers) = 360 calories
1 serving (¼ c.) Skittles = 160 calories
1 strawberry yogurt granola bar = 409 calories

Lunch:
4 oz. Vegetable pasta = 380 calories
½ Tbsp garlic & herb butter = 45 calories
~1 oz. feta cheese = 70 calories

Snack:
~4 oz. Blueberries

I haven't eaten dinner yet, but it will be a small bowl of leftover chicken and rice.

Wow. Just looking at this, I obviously need to cut down on the snack calories. That's over 900 calories in snack food, which is way too much. With the numbers I have up there, that's 1800 calories plus the fruit, toast, apple butter, and dinner that I haven't eaten yet, which probably puts me close to a 2500 calorie day. Yikes.

I did an hour of Ballerobica earlier (a ballet aerobics class. Super fun), and the instructor said the class burns anywhere from 250 to 500 calories, but 350 calories is generally average. I also walked for about half an hour earlier. Total low ball, but I'm going to say that was another 50 calories burned because I like round numbers. That puts me at a net 2100 calorie day. I'm going to aim for another 100 calories burned before bed tonight.

I also drank pretty close to a half-gallon of water today. That's a lot less than I should be drinking, but still not bad. I also froze my water bottle overnight, so I had ice cold water for a few hours today, which I've been told burns a considerable number of calories.

Lessons learned today: I need to keep something sweet around that is healthy. I had a craving for something sweet earlier – hence the Skittles. They not only didn't hit the spot, but were a lot of wasted calories. I also need to not snack so much, or find healthier snacks. Rather than the Triscuits, I could have cut up one of the bell peppers I have in the fridge and brought that to school to munch on. That probably would have saved me close to 300 calories. Also, the granola bars from the Czech Republic need to go. I didn't look at the nutrition facts until this evening, making this list, and I'm appalled. None of the flavors I have are under 400 calories. Gross.

I finished off my blueberries today, so I'm all out of fruit. (I have lemons and bell peppers, but those aren't really “reach in and munch down” material.) I will definitely be doing some grocery shopping tomorrow, and will be doing so with this goal in mind. I'm going to try meal planning so I actually buy with purpose (and because corn is 6/$1 at Albertsons. I love corn, so I will probably get lots of it and then do grilled corn, corn salads, etc.) and because that might cut down on the “I don't know what I'm going to eat for dinner so I'll just stand here in front of the pantry hoping that something will jump out at me, and continue standing here until I decide on something that's not terribly healthy” phenomenon that seems to happen in this house.

Definitely glad I tracked my calories for the day. I was really surprised when I saw that number up there, and will be a lot more aware of what I consume from now on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment